'Ital' Soup is Vital for Health
I make this at least once a month. Its an easy meal prep, its loaded with plant based protein, filling and nourishing dish. It keeps you full without making your feel terrible. Ital, a variation on 'vital', is a belief system, in the Nyabinghi Mansion of Rastafari, which dictates that its followers should eat food grown from the earth around them - unmodified. Typically, it's a plant-based diet.
Yellow Plantain (2-3)
Any type of sweet peppers of choice (1-2)
Sweet Potato (3-4 large, or any starchy provision)
Corn (on the cob, 3-4 or 2 cans)
Chayote (aka Cho-Cho)
Red Kidney Beans (1-2 cans; or any bean/legume of choice)
Cilantro (3-4 bunches, 4-5 cups)
White onion (1)
Scallion (1 bunch or 5 stalks)
Spinach (1-2 bunches)
Unsweetened Coconut Milk (up to 3-4 cans)
Coriander, Curry and Powder and any seasoning of choice
Lots of garlic
Lemon (to taste; optional but highly recommended)
Salt and Pepper
1. To your soup pot, add four cups of water to one can of coconut milk, add your handful of pimento seeds, a few bay leaves (3-4) and your thyme, bring to a low simmer.
2. Chop up everything! Yes, everything (except the beans, lol). Size is up to you.
3. This step is optional; But HIGHLY recommended: In a separate sauce pan, lightly oiled, sauté garlic, onion, peppers, 2 cups of chopped cilantro until sweaty to release the flavors.
4. Dump all contents from sauce pan into your soup pot. Add salt/pepper/seasonings as you go. Remember to taste.
5. Start adding your veggies in this order: corn, carrots, potatoes, yucca (these are tougher foods and takes longer to cook). Let cook/simmer for 10-15 mins). Next add: Sweet potato, chayote, beans, spinach and two more cups cilantro (softer foods).
6. Add water/coconut milk to cover all foods. Add salt/pepper/seasonings as you go. Remember to taste.
7. Let simmer until all foods are cooked to your liking. I recommend a low and slow method. Stir pot periodically. Be sure to taste. Soup will thicken within a few days.
8. Enjoy with a splash of lemon!